qemu-devel

Re: [for-6.0 v5 11/13] spapr: PEF: prevent migration

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [for-6.0 v5 11/13] spapr: PEF: prevent migration
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 12:20:48 +0000

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:50:12PM +0100, Christian Borntraeger wrote:

> On 14.01.21 12:45, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > * Cornelia Huck (cohuck@redhat.com) wrote:

> >> Failing if you explicitly specified unpacked feels right, but failing
> >> if you just used the host model feels odd. Removing unpack also is a
> >> bit odd, but I think the better option if we want to do anything about
> >> it at all.
> >
> > 'host-model' feels a bit special; but breaking the rule that
> > only-migratable doesn't change behaviour is weird
> > Can you do host,-unpack   to make that work explicitly?
>
> I guess that should work. But it means that we need to add logic in libvirt
> to disable unpack for host-passthru and host-model. Next problem is then,
> that a future version might implement migration of such guests, which means
> that libvirt must then stop fencing unpack.

The "host-model" is supposed to always be migratable, so we should
fence the feature there.

host-passthrough is "undefined" whether it is migratable - it may or may
not work, no guarantees made by libvirt.

Ultimately I think the problem is that there ought to be an explicit
config to enable the feature for s390, as there is for SEV, and will
also presumably be needed for ppc.

Regards,
Daniel