qemu-devel

Re: vnc clipboard support

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: vnc clipboard support
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 12:49:03 +0100

  Hi,

> - What I'm suggesting is that qemu-vnc could then switch to simply
> relaying VNC traffic to that in-guest server. You'd get the smart update
> algorithm that Apple has put in place to deal with transparency and the
> like, as well as a level of guest OS integration that would otherwise be
> much harder to replicate.

Ok, so basically add a vnc proxy mode and allow switching between
internals server and proxy mode (automatically if possible, or
manually).

> If you don't have it, you fallback to virtual keystrokes, which you can't
> dispense with because of the early boot case, but which will at best
> deal with simple ASCII (making that work with a clipboard containing
> tabs and Control-C/Control-V characters is left as an exercise for the
> reader  ;-)

Well, even simple ascii is tricky.  How do you send 'z', as KEY_Z or as
KEY_Y ?

> Finally, an optimization I alluded to is to have an agent which is basically
> a stripped-down VNC server dealing with only the clipboard aspect, and
> that is your agent. In other words, you don't' invent yet another protocol,
> but you furiously copy-paste the existing VNC code.

Third mode: proxy only clipboard messages.

> Hope this sounds a bit less crazy explained that way…

Well, I can't see a way to make all that work nicely fully automatic ...

take care,
  Gerd