qemu-devel

Re: Help with Windows XP in qemu-system-i386

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: Help with Windows XP in qemu-system-i386
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:21:42 -0500

> On Feb 5, 2021, at 4:08 PM, Programmingkid <programmingkidx@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 5, 2021, at 3:49 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 03:25:00PM -0500, Programmingkid wrote:
>>> Hi, I'm noticing that my Windows XP Service Pack 3 VM is causing
>>> qemu-system-i386 to experience 100% host cpu usage even when the guest is
>>> at idle. I was wondering if you are seeing this issue as well on any
>>> version of Windows guest? Windows 2000 doesn't seem to have this problem so
>>> I'm wondering if this is a bug with QEMU or a problem with my VM. Any help
>>> would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>
>> Just tried an xp guest, stays below 10% for me. Suggest discussing this
>> on the mailing list.
>
> Thank you for the reply. Which service pack is your Windows XP VM using?

Hi Michael. I noticed what was the cause of Windows XP using so much CPU time
when idle. When I used the '-smp 4' option Windows made a change then
restarted. After restarting the screen was black. Does this happen to you?
Please make a backup of any image file you have before experimenting. Windows 7
doesn't have this problem. I am qemu-system-i386 at commit
1214d55d1c41fbab3a9973a05085b8760647e411.

Removing the '-smp 2' option does make Windows XP start up again, but the high
host CPU usage at idle remains...

I reported this bug here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1914294