qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 31/31] qemu-option: warn for short-form boolean options

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [PULL 31/31] qemu-option: warn for short-form boolean options
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 11:04:10 +0000

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 10:43, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:
> For this to work, one would need to have a typed string->QAPI parser,
> i.e. one that takes the schema as input rather than doing a generic
> parsing to QDict and then using the schema via the visitor.  That would
> IMHO be overengineered for the purpose of saving five keystrokes on
> "server,nowait".

The point is not that it's saving five keystrokes. The point
is that "server,nowait" is how we've documented that users
should select that functionality since forever, and indeed
is how we're still documenting it today, and therefore changing
it is breaking the existing working setups of a very large
group of users.

Historical warts that nobody much was really using can be safely
excised; historical warts with many many users much less so.

thanks
-- PMM