qemu-devel

Re: [RFC v1 00/38] arm cleanup experiment for kvm-only build

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: [RFC v1 00/38] arm cleanup experiment for kvm-only build
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 10:17:21 +0100

On 2/22/21 5:08 PM, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On 2/22/21 12:43 AM, Claudio Fontana wrote:
>> Regarding terminology, I think the mismatch is throughout the code right?
>
> Yes, e.g. the top-level softmmu/.
>

>> So many of the existing "softmmu" files and directories should actually be
>> called "system", or "sysemu" to match include/sysemu right?
> Yes, please.  Let's not add new mistakes.
>
>> Maybe it would be good to have clear documentation about this in devel/ to
>> use as a reference and end-goal, and then we could do a pass of the whole
>> code to fix the discrepancies in the use of the terms?
> I suppose.  Where do you suggest adding those couple of sentences?
>

> r~

I'd say docs/devel/code-config-macros, or something like that.

I think for a new developer coming into the codebase, the big hurdle is trying
to figure out why there are so many CONFIG_,

in which files and directories they can and should be used,

which effects they have and the most dangerous pitfalls (f.e. header files and
mixed common/specific modules), ...

Ciao,

Claudio