qemu-devel

Re: Windows 10 won't run on default x86_64 machine anymore

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: Windows 10 won't run on default x86_64 machine anymore
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 13:49:57 +0100

On 16/03/21 13:13, Igor Mammedov wrote:
Surprisingly without accelerator ie with tcg the default machine does seem to
get to the login prompt. Is the ACPI data tailored to indicate an
accelerator/VM or is it static? Could it be that the CPU reported by my
machine is causing the issue? With the NVMM accelerator it passes on the hosts

I think tcg case can be explained by x86_machine_is_smm_enabled()

   bool x86_machine_is_smm_enabled(const X86MachineState *x86ms)
       if (tcg_enabled() || qtest_enabled()) {
           smm_available = true;
       } else if (kvm_enabled()) {
           smm_available = kvm_has_smm();
       }

Although I don't know about nvmm case, this function also needs to be updated
if smi isn't supported.
can you submit a patch for this please?

nvmm is not part of upstream yet, so I guess it's up to Reinoud to fix it. Still, reproducing his testing conditions with KVM and -M smm=off is probably interesting because it also affects HAX, HVF and WHPX which are supported upstream.

Paolo