qemu-devel

Re: Windows 10 won't run on default x86_64 machine anymore

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: Windows 10 won't run on default x86_64 machine anymore
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 18:38:40 +0100

On 16/03/21 17:27, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 01:49:57PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
On 16/03/21 13:13, Igor Mammedov wrote:
Although I don't know about nvmm case, this function also needs to be updated
if smi isn't supported.
can you submit a patch for this please?

nvmm is not part of upstream yet, so I guess it's up to Reinoud to fix it.
Still, reproducing his testing conditions with KVM and -M smm=off is
probably interesting because it also affects HAX, HVF and WHPX which are
supported upstream.

As stated in my other mail, I think NVMM supports the SMI.

I doubt, even KVM only supports it as a kind of "fringe" feature for secure boot. But anyway, feel free to post the patches now and we'll have time to do more passes if needed, during the freeze.

Paolo

We would have liked
to add NVMM in the comming 6.0 release but I see we missed the timeframe as
the soft feature freeze date is today.

It was posted here some months before but somehow it got stalled and when the
main NVMM developer left the project to persuit other things it kind of
stalled. I've now forward ported NVMM support to todays Qemu sources.

With regards,
Reinoud