qemu-devel

QEMU PCI subsystem: what code is responsible for making accesses to non-

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: QEMU PCI subsystem: what code is responsible for making accesses to non-mapped addresses read as -1?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 12:35:31 +0000

I'm looking at a bug reported against the QEMU arm virt board's pci-gpex
PCI controller: https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1918917
where an attempt to write to an address within the PCI IO window
where the guest hasn't mapped a BAR causes a CPU exception rather than
(what I believe is) the PCI-required behaviour of writes-ignored, reads
return -1.

What in the QEMU PCI code is responsible for giving the PCI-spec
behaviour for accesses to the PCI IO and memory windows where there
is no BAR? I was expecting the generic PCI code to map a background
memory region over the whole window to do this, but it looks like it
doesn't...

thanks
-- PMM