qemu-devel

Re: qemu/kvm tianocore restart stuck

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: qemu/kvm tianocore restart stuck
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 12:30:03 +0200

On 04/22/21 22:04, VoidCC wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm hitting a hard wall with qemu and efi.
> I'm running multiple windows server 2019 vms which usually reboot on
> updates.
>
> The issue is, efi breaks on reboot.
> It randomly(race condition?, does not occur consistently) ends up in a
> blackscreen: no bootloader, no efi screen and the only way to get out of
> that state is to destroy the vm.
> moving the host mouse cursor above the console in virt-manager results in a
> flashing mouse cursor.
> there are no physical devices attached and there is currently no virtio
> attachment in use (os has virtio drivers installed)
>

> Machine is Q35 with tianocore/ovmf efi.
> I managed to reproduce the same behaviour on rhel 8.3 as well as
> voidlinux (kernel 5.11)
>
> gdb output of qemu is showing nothing worrisome, else ive compiled ovmf
> manually for debug output.
> libvirt logs don't show any issues.
>
> root · Slexy.org Pastebin <https://slexy.org/view/s2w8CdNBx5>

Please capture the firmware debug log. It's possible that you have
rebooted the VM many times, and the variable store got fragmented, at
the "Fault Tolerant Write" level. During one of these boots, an FTW
"reclaim" (a kind of "defrag") may run, and that's time consuming, if
you're not used to it. The firmware log could help. See the
OvmfPkg/README file for QEMU command line options, for capturing the
OVMF debug log.

Please include your QEMU command lines too, in the issue report.

Thanks
Laszlo