qemu-devel

[vhost-user] Expectations around reconnection

From: Boeuf, Sebastien
Subject: [vhost-user] Expectations around reconnection
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 13:33:30 +0000

Hi All,

In the context of vhost-user, I was wondering how a reconnection should
be handled from the VMM perspective?

In particular, I'm looking at the OVS-DPDK use case using the client
mode (meaning QEMU acts as the server), and I'd like to understand what
QEMU does to handle this. Upon disconnection from the backend, does QEMU
 reset the virtio device (meaning the guest
is notified about it)? And upon the new connection from the backend,
does QEMU go through the whole vhost-user initialization once again
(feature acknowledgement, setup of vrings, etc...), or does it simply
assume the backend will have saved all these information?

Thanks for your time,
Sebastien
92196 Meudon Cedex, France
Registration Number:  302 456 199 R.C.S. NANTERRE
Capital: 4,572,000 Euros