qemu-devel

Re: A bug of Monitor Chardev ?

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: A bug of Monitor Chardev ?
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 17:56:14 +0100

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 05:33:46PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 10:43:36AM -0400, Peter Xu wrote:
> >
> > I think the original problem was that if qemu_chr_fe_set_handlers() is
> > called
> > in main thread, it can start to race somehow within execution of the
> > function
> > qemu_chr_fe_set_handlers() right after we switch context at:
> >
> >     qemu_chr_be_update_read_handlers(s, context);
> >
> > Then the rest code in qemu_chr_fe_set_handlers() will continue to run in
> > main
> > thread for sure, but the should be running with the new iothread context,
> > which
> > introduce a race condition.
> >
> > Running qemu_chr_be_update_read_handlers() in BH resolves that because then
> > all
> > things run in the monitor iothread only and natually serialized.
>
> The first message in this thread, however, claims that it is *not*
> in fact serialized, when using the BH.
>
> > So the new comment looks indeed not fully right, as the chr device should be
> > indeed within main thread context before qemu_chr_fe_set_handlers(), it's
> > just
> > that the race may start right away if without BH when context switch happens
> > for the chr.
>
> It sounds like both the comment and the code are potentially wrong.

I feel like our root cause problem that the original code was trying to
workaround, is that the chardev is "active" from the very moment it is
created, regardless of whether the frontend is ready to use it.

IIUC, in this case the socket chardev is already listen()ing and
accept()ing incoming clients off the network, before the monitor
has finished configuring its hooks into the chardev. This means
that the initial listen()/accept() I/O watches are using the
default GMainContext, and the monitor *has* to remove them and
put in new watches on the thread private GMainContext.

To eliminate any risk of races, we need to make it possible for the
monitor to configure the GMainContext on the chardevs *before* any
I/O watches are configured.

This in turn suggests that we need to split the chardev initialization
into two phases. First we have the basic chardev creation, with object
creation, option parsing/sanity checking, socket creation, and then
second we have the actual activation where the I/O watches are added.

IOW,  qemu_chr_new() is the former and gets run from generic code in
the main() method, or in QMP chardev_add.  A new 'qemu_chr_activate'
method would be called by whatever frontend is using the chardev,
after registering a custom GMainContext.

This would involve updating every single existing user of chardevs
to add a call to qemu_chr_activate, but that's worth it to eliminate
the race by design, rather than workaround it.

Regards,
Daniel