qemu-devel

Re: HSS Issue with GCC 10, Qemu Setup for microchip-icicle-kit

From: Rahul Pathak
Subject: Re: HSS Issue with GCC 10, Qemu Setup for microchip-icicle-kit
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 14:46:11 +0530

I followed the same link. I will elaborate what is happening at my end -

First -
Used the same versions as per the doc. Built HSS 2020.12 and used core-image-minimal-dev-icicle-kit-es-sd-20201009141623.rootfs.wic.
Upon executing the qemu launch command as per the doc, it's just waits for the connection on another serial console -

info: QEMU waiting for connection on: disconnected:unix:serial1.sock,server=on

Even if I open sudo minicom -D unix\#serial1.sock, which remains offline always.

Second -
If I remove the "-chardev socket,id=serial1,path=serial1.sock,server=on,wait=on -serial chardev:serial1" from the
qemu launch command then HSS boots but stops after sbi_init on all the cores and put the cores in Idle -

[5.443011] boot_download_chunks_onExit(): boot_service(u54_1)::u54_1:sbi_init 80200000
[5.444960] boot_wait_onEntry(): boot_service(u54_1)::Checking for IPI ACKs: - -
[5.447962] boot_wait_handler(): boot_service(u54_1)::Checking for IPI ACKs: ACK/IDLE ACK
[5.449343] RunStateMachine(): boot_service(u54_1)::Wait -> boot_service(u54_1)::Idle

Third -
If I take the latest release of HSS 2021.04 and build with gcc10, it does not boot at all even if I remove the serial1 like in the second case.

Thanks
Rahul

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 8:19 AM Bin Meng <bmeng.cn@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Rahul,

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 1:08 AM Rahul Pathak <rpathak@ventanamicro.com> wrote:

> Hi Bin,
>
> I was reading a github issue which you raised for the issue with HSS because of GCC 10.1. Its pretty old and not sure what has changed so I thought to ask you over email for help.

The HSS issue of GCC 10.1 was already fixed in the HSS mainline.

> I myself is trying to make a setup to boot theĀ  microchip-icicle-kit Qemu machine with HSS and Yocto linux image. Currently it does not work.

Could you please elaborate which part does not work? Is that Linux,
HSS, or U-Boot?

> Do you know what is the right setup to makeĀ  microchip-icicle-kit machine with HSS.bin and Yocto linux work on Qemu?. Probably there will be a working combination of HSS, Linux releases plus the toolchain version which makes this setup work.

I have not tried Yocto Linux yet with Microchip Icicle Kit on QEMU. I
only tested the Linux images released by Microchip.
Could you please follow the instructions @
https://qemu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/system/riscv/microchip-icicle-kit.html
to see which step might be wrong on your side?

Regards,
Bin