qemu-devel

Re: [gitlab] Renamed issue labels for target architecture

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: [gitlab] Renamed issue labels for target architecture
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 18:29:50 +0200

On 6/13/21 12:32 AM, Richard Henderson wrote:
> I've renamed arch:* to target:* as there was some amount of confusion as
> to what "arch" really meant without context.

There was a discussion with jsnow about that on IRC, and IIRC he
said what first matters to have easy tags so the reporter does the
first triage directly.

>  I've removed labels for
> lm32 and unicore32 which have been removed from qemu 6.1.  I've added a
> label for hexagon.
>
> I have not yet added labels for host architecture, because I couldn't
> figure out how best to word the description, or even if all of the
> target:* labels need re-wording to emphasize target.

We want to have a first label to quicker triage. Once a
maintainer is notified, different/finest triage can be done.

The downside is this is noisier for maintainers :(

Wait, are you seeing labels are a notification mechanism or a way
to sort the issues?

Until your rename I was using arch:s390x to contact S390 maintainers
for build failure on s390x host [Build System, arch: s390x], bug in TCG
backend or bug in TCG frontend for target [accel: TCG, arch: s390x],
hoping at least one person notified would have further look.

> And then there's the special case of TCI.

For reporters TCI != TCG, so the simplest is "accel: TCI",
but I prefer "accel:TCG:TCI".