qemu-devel

Re: Shortcoming (oversight) in Windows installer

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: Shortcoming (oversight) in Windows installer
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:34:39 +0200

Am 19.06.21 um 12:03 schrieb Philippe Mathieu-Daudé:

Hi Adam,

On 6/19/21 12:55 AM, adam.s@Safe-mail.net wrote:
but I noticed this about the Windows installer:

Does not add (nor offer to add) "C:\Program Files\qemu" to path.

It should maybe be an optional choice in the installer.
Can you try sending a patch via email?

Adding the installation directory to the search path is dangerous on Windows and can result in an empty path when the length exceeds some limit: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43014724/how-to-reset-system-variable-path-after-tesseract-installation.

In addition I don't like having a global path setting with lots of entries for many different programs. That can cause ambiguities if different path entries include incompatible EXE or DLL files with the same name. Windows uses PATH not only for finding EXE files but also for DLL files.

Therefore I would not implement the suggested feature.

I suggest running the QEMU executables by specifying their full name including their installation directory. And it's also easy to add a local batch file which sets the right path temporarily.

Regards

Stefan