qemu-devel

Re: Auditing QEMU to replace NULL with &error_abort

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Re: Auditing QEMU to replace NULL with &error_abort
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 19:31:13 +0400

Hi

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 7:10 PM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 02:16:55PM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> &error_abort has been a clear win for us.  &error_fatal too, when used
> judiciously.  Marc-André tried to get both into GLib, unsuccessfully[2].

...snip...

> [2] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/-/issues/2288

This doesn't actually suggest adding error_abort/fatal to GLib. Rather
it adds a general callback hook to GLib. Biggest complaints there
are around the callback concept and difficulty of safely using it,
which I can't disagree with.

I wonder if we would have more luck if we explicitly proposed the
error_abort/fatal concept to GLib instead. At least that would not
hit any of the complaints raised about the callback.

Without callbacks, it will be difficult to report errors back to the monitor, or prettify it the way we want (since we would be using extended GErrors for hints etc)

But we could have a more specific callback for that perhaps?

You are welcome to propose something else :)

--
Marc-André Lureau