qemu-devel

Porting QEMU to new hardware challenge?

From: Lonnie Cumberland
Subject: Porting QEMU to new hardware challenge?
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 09:32:12 -0400

Hello All,

I hope that everyone is doing well today.

Currently, I am working on a project that needs a good and stable VMM to run a single VM at a time within a new hypervisor being designed  that will run on x86_64 hardware. (at least initially)

For this effort, I have been looking at various possible VMMs like QEMU, TinyEMU, Bhyve, and even VirtualBox but think that either QEMU or TinyEMU might be the best solution and I am wondering how hard it might be to port QEMU over to the new system?

I would like to get your opinion, and suggestions on the best way to proceed and also what difficulties you may have had in the past, if you ported QEMU.

Any help or information would be truly appreciated.

Best Regards and have a great weekend,
Lonnie