qemu-devel

Re: Getting started developing

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: Getting started developing
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 18:43:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 3 Jul 2021, Kenneth Adam Miller wrote:
I just wanted to ask how I can get started developing other than just
starting building? QEMU is a huge project, and getting familiar with all of
the source and stuff is a lot of work. Probably, it wouldn't be helpful to
know the entire source, but just what I need.

If you go to https://www.qemu.org/contribute/ there's a link to the wiki:

https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/GettingStartedDevelopers

where there are a few links to some docs. I've also gathered these links:

https://osdn.net/projects/qmiga/wiki/DeveloperTips

I want to add a new system target for an architecture in which non-user
mode instructions might be used. In my case, I am reading the documentation
at qemu-project.gitlab.io/qemu/devel/*, and I find that some of it is good
for getting started because it tells about the roles of different build
targets. At the current time though, I feel like I'm so far at the
beginning that I don't know what question to ask to help myself best. Is
there any way to know in more detail how a system target would both share
and differ from one architecture to another? For example, the same devices
may be present from arm to x86, but this isn't true for how the processor
works. Also, is there any reference on the execution lineage or data
structures used?

Probably the easiest is to find a simple machine in QEMU that is similar to what you want and look at how that's implemented. At the beginning QOM boilerplate code might be confusing but it's just how QEMU defines objects in C so reading up on QOM and QDev might help to understand how to write and instantiate those objects then the code becomes more readable.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan