qemu-devel

Re: retrying failed gitlab CI external jobs (travis)

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: retrying failed gitlab CI external jobs (travis)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 12:08:34 +0100

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 12:03:02PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 at 10:22, Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
> > WRT missing job for commit fc32b91a, I see there is a Travis stage
> > reported here:
> >
> >   https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/pipelines/334907106/builds
> >
> > So I presume there was some delay in running the Travis jobs and
> > thus they only got reported after you sent the mail.
> >
> > The extra stage in the pipeline is not triggered/tracked by GitLab
> > itself. Rather it relies on Travis to see the changes, runs its job
> > and pushes information back to GitLab. This is completely asynchronous
> > to the rest of the normal GitLab pipeline, so unfortunately if Travis
> > hasn't even started the job yet, we see nothing :=(
>
> Hmm. If nothing shows up in the gitlab pipeline, it doesn't really
> work as a gating CI step, because I won't see if it fails...

Agreed, the Travis integration isn't ideal in this respect. We probably
have to consider to be merely a nice sanity check, rather than fully
gating CI.

The way I've integrated Cirrus CI into GitLab is more useful, because
that uses the GitLab job to directly trigger the Cirrus job, and so
we don't suffer from the asynchronous feedback loop going missing
entirely as with Travis.

It would be nice to integrate Traviss in the same way as Cirrus, but
I'm still not sure it is possible with Travis' REST API.

Regards,
Daniel