[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[PULL 01/40] Jobs based on custom runners: documentation and configurati
[PULL 01/40] Jobs based on custom runners: documentation and configuration placeholder
Mon, 12 Jul 2021 13:26:14 +0100
From: Cleber Rosa <email@example.com>
As described in the included documentation, the "custom runner" jobs
extend the GitLab CI jobs already in place. One of their primary
goals of catching and preventing regressions on a wider number of host
systems than the ones provided by GitLab's shared runners.
This sets the stage in which other community members can add their own
machine configuration documentation/scripts, and accompanying job
definitions. As a general rule, those newly added contributed jobs
should run as "non-gating", until their reliability is verified (AKA
Signed-off-by: Cleber Rosa <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Signed-off-by: Alex Bennée <email@example.com>
Reviewed-by: Alex Bennée <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reviewed-by: Thomas Huth <email@example.com>
Reviewed-by: Willian Rampazzo <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reviewed-by: Wainer dos Santos Moschetta <email@example.com>
diff --git a/docs/devel/ci.rst b/docs/devel/ci.rst
new file mode 100644
@@ -0,0 +1,32 @@
+QEMU has configurations enabled for a number of different CI services.
+The most up to date information about them and their status can be
+Jobs on Custom Runners
+Besides the jobs run under the various CI systems listed before, there
+are a number additional jobs that will run before an actual merge.
+These use the same GitLab CI's service/framework already used for all
+other GitLab based CI jobs, but rely on additional systems, not the
+ones provided by GitLab as "shared runners".
+The architecture of GitLab's CI service allows different machines to
+be set up with GitLab's "agent", called gitlab-runner, which will take
+care of running jobs created by events such as a push to a branch.
+Here, the combination of a machine, properly configured with GitLab's
+gitlab-runner, is called a "custom runner".
+The GitLab CI jobs definition for the custom runners are located under::
+Custom runners entail custom machines. To see a list of the machines
+currently deployed in the QEMU GitLab CI and their maintainers, please
+refer to the QEMU `wiki <https://wiki.qemu.org/AdminContacts>`__.
diff --git a/docs/devel/index.rst b/docs/devel/index.rst
index 977c3893bd..da15273786 100644
@@ -27,6 +27,7 @@ Contents:
diff --git a/.gitlab-ci.d/custom-runners.yml b/.gitlab-ci.d/custom-runners.yml
new file mode 100644
@@ -0,0 +1,14 @@
+# The CI jobs defined here require GitLab runners installed and
+# registered on machines that match their operating system names,
+# versions and architectures. This is in contrast to the other CI
+# jobs that are intended to run on GitLab's "shared" runners.
+# Different than the default approach on "shared" runners, based on
+# containers, the custom runners have no such *requirement*, as those
+# jobs should be capable of running on operating systems with no
+# compatible container implementation, or no support from
+# gitlab-runner. To avoid problems that gitlab-runner can cause while
+# reusing the GIT repository, let's enable the clone strategy, which
+# guarantees a fresh repository on each job run.
+ GIT_STRATEGY: clone
diff --git a/.gitlab-ci.d/qemu-project.yml b/.gitlab-ci.d/qemu-project.yml
index 64cb2ba1da..dde8270301 100644
@@ -9,3 +9,4 @@ include:
- local: '/.gitlab-ci.d/crossbuilds.yml'
- local: '/.gitlab-ci.d/buildtest.yml'
- local: '/.gitlab-ci.d/static_checks.yml'
+ - local: '/.gitlab-ci.d/custom-runners.yml'
- [PULL for 6.1 00/40] testing and plugin updates, Alex Bennée, 2021/07/12
- [PULL 01/40] Jobs based on custom runners: documentation and configuration placeholder,
Alex Bennée <=
- [PULL 02/40] Jobs based on custom runners: build environment docs and playbook, Alex Bennée, 2021/07/12
- [PULL 03/40] Jobs based on custom runners: docs and gitlab-runner setup playbook, Alex Bennée, 2021/07/12
- [PULL 06/40] build: validate that system capstone works before using it, Alex Bennée, 2021/07/12
- [PULL 04/40] Jobs based on custom runners: add job definitions for QEMU's machines, Alex Bennée, 2021/07/12
- [PULL 09/40] hw/usb/ccid: remove references to NSS, Alex Bennée, 2021/07/12
- [PULL 05/40] tests/tcg: also disable the signals test for plugins, Alex Bennée, 2021/07/12
- [PULL 31/40] configure: stop user enabling plugins on Windows for now, Alex Bennée, 2021/07/12
- [PULL 07/40] gitlab: support for FreeBSD 12, 13 and macOS 11 via cirrus-run, Alex Bennée, 2021/07/12
- [PULL 08/40] cirrus: delete FreeBSD and macOS jobs, Alex Bennée, 2021/07/12
- [PULL 10/40] tests/docker: don't use BUILDKIT in GitLab either, Alex Bennée, 2021/07/12