qemu-devel

Re: QEMU question: upstreaming I2C device with unpublished datasheet

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: QEMU question: upstreaming I2C device with unpublished datasheet
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 10:23:26 +0100

On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 at 22:06, Shengtan Mao <stmao@google.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> we are hoping to upstream a MAX I2C device to QEMU. The device's datasheet is
> not public, and we are contacting the Maxim company to get their permission.
> If Maxim is okay with upstreaming the device with an unpublished datasheet,
> will this still be an issue with QEMU?

It's not inherently a blocker, but the difficulty is code review.
Without knowing how the device should behave, it's hard to tell
whether the model is doing the right thing. Ideally Maxim should
just publish their datasheet, so if you/your company has any
leverage with them you should push them to do that :-)

That said, we do have other device models in the tree which
don't have public datasheets, and as long as the device is not
too complicated we should be OK as long as you can also submit
enough test cases that we could refactor the device in future
without worrying too much that we're breaking it because we don't
know how it's supposed to behave.

thanks
-- PMM