qemu-devel

Re: Deprecate 32-bit hosts? (was: Re: [PULL 14/14] hw/arm/aspeed: Add Fu

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: Deprecate 32-bit hosts? (was: Re: [PULL 14/14] hw/arm/aspeed: Add Fuji machine type)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 10:51:56 +0200

On 9/15/21 10:37 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 09:42:48AM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
>>>
>>> Recalling that the win64 abi model is p64, i.e. 'long' is still 32-bit
>>> while pointers are 64-bit, how close do we think we are to this being
>>> fixed already?

>>> I'm not opposed to deprecating 32-bit hosts...  ;-)
>>
>> I think we should consider this again, indeed. Plain 32-bit CPUs are quite
>> seldom these days, aren't they? And I think we urgently need to decrease the
>> amount of things that we have to test and maintain in our CI and developer
>> branches... So is there still a really really compelling reason to keep
>> 32-bit host support alive?
>
> I think it probably depends on the architecture to some extent.
>
> i386 is possibly getting rare enough to consider dropping, though
> IIUC, KVM in the kernel still supports it.  Would feel odd to drop
> it in QEMU if the kernel still thinks it is popular enough to keep
> KVM support.
>
> armv7 feels like it is relatively common as 64-bit didn't arrive
> in widespread use until relatively recent times compared to x86_64.
> KVM dropped armv7, but then hardware for that was never widespread,
> so armv7 was always TCG dominated
>
> Other 32-bit arches were/are always rare.

While I could understand there are rare uses of system emulation on
32-bit hosts, I still believe user-emulation is used, but would like
to be proven to the contrary. With that in mind, I'm not sure removing
sysemu on 32-bit hosts is worthful. Maybe we should ask distribution
maintainers first, then eventually poll the community? Or start with
a deprecation warning?