qemu-devel

Re: Rust in Qemu BoF followup: Rust vs. qemu platform support

From: David Gibson
Subject: Re: Rust in Qemu BoF followup: Rust vs. qemu platform support
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 20:56:58 +1000

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 11:17:01AM +0200, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17 2021, David Gibson <david@gibson.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > At the qemu-in-rust BoF at KVM Forum, I volunteered to look into
> > whether Rust supported all the host/build platforms that qemu does,
> > which is obviously vital if we want to make Rust a non-optional
> > component of the build.
> >
> > I've added the information to our wiki at:
> >     https://wiki.qemu.org/RustInQemu
>
> Thank you for doing that!
>

> > TBH, the coverage is not as good as I expected.  Linux, macOS and
> > Windows are pretty much ok, with the exception of Linux on Sparc.
> > There are a lot of gaps in *BSD support, however.
>
> Yes :(
>
> Do we actually have an idea what we would require?

Not t this stage.  This is just based on the ticks in the table on the
Rust page, I haven't tried to look closer at any of the cases.

> I'm surprised that
> there are so many targets without host tools or without std support (but
> maybe they are only missing small things.)

Right.  So, it makes sense that Rust has a bunch of targets without
that support: a lot of them are embedded systems, where you'd expect
to be cross-compiling.  The intersection of that with the qemu build
platforms is weirder.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson