qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 0/8] 9p queue 2021-10-27

From: Christian Schoenebeck
Subject: Re: [PULL 0/8] 9p queue 2021-10-27
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:29:13 +0200

On Mittwoch, 27. Oktober 2021 18:48:10 CEST Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> On 10/27/21 18:21, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> > On Mittwoch, 27. Oktober 2021 17:36:03 CEST Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> >> Hi Christian,

> > 931ce30859176f0f7daac6bac255dae5eb21284e:

7e985780aaab93d2c5be9b62d8d386568dfb071e:

> >> Hmm various patches aren't reviewed yet... In particular
> >> patch #5 has a Suggested-by tag without Reviewed-by, this
> >> looks odd.
> >>
> >> See https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPullRequest:
> >>   Don't send pull requests for code that hasn't passed review.
> >>   A pull request says these patches are ready to go into QEMU now,
> >>   so they must have passed the standard code review processes. In
> >>   particular if you've corrected issues in one round of code review,
> >>   you need to send your fixed patch series as normal to the list;
> >>   you can't put it in a pull request until it's gone through.
> >>   (Extremely trivial fixes may be OK to just fix in passing, but
> >>   if in doubt err on the side of not.)
> >
> > There are in general exactly two persons adding their RBs to 9p patches,
> > which is either Greg or me, and Greg made it already clear that he barely
> > has time for anything above trivial set.
> >
> > So what do you suggest? You want to participate and review 9p patches?
>
> Well I am a bit surprised...
>
> $ git log --oneline \
>     --grep='Reviewed-by: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé' -- hw/9pfs/ | wc -l
> 18
>
> I also reviewed patch #3 if this pull request...
>

> Now I see you posted this 4 times in 2 months, so indeed eventual
> reviewers had plenty of time to look at your patches.
>
> Note I haven't said I'd NAck your pull request, I noticed your own
> concern wrt Daniel comment, so I looked at the patch and realized
> it was not reviewed, and simply said this is this is odd.
>
> Regards,
>
> Phil.

Philippe, of course I understand why this looks odd to you, and yes you
reviewed that particular patch. But the situation on the 9p front is like this
for >2 years now: people quickly come by to nack patches, but even after
having addressed their concerns they barely add their RBs afterwards. That
means I am currently forced to send out PRs without RBs once in a while.

The mentioned 5 patches look like overkill on first sight, but they are just
intended as preparatory ones. I actually should fix a protocol implementation
deficit in "Twalk" request handling, and that in turn means I will have to add
complexity to function v9fs_walk(). But before even daring to do so, I should
get rid of as much of complexity as possible. Because we already had a bunch
of issues in that function before. I believe these are trivial 5 patches. But
I can also accompany them with test cases if somebody is worried.

Greg, I could also drop them now, but the general issue will retain: Reality
is that I am the only person working on 9p right now and a fact that I cannot
change. The rest is for other people to decide.

Best regards,
Christian Schoenebeck