qemu-devel

Re: Redesign of QEMU startup & initial configuration

From: Mark Burton
Subject: Re: Redesign of QEMU startup & initial configuration
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 21:01:24 +0100

I’ll take the liberty to cut one part (I agree with much of what you say elsewhere)

On 9 Dec 2021, at 20:11, Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:

As illustrated earlier, I'd really like us to consider being a bit
more adventurous on the CLI side. I'm convinced that a CLI for
directly configurable hardware is doomed to be horrible no matter
what, if you try to directly expose all QAPI configuration
flexibilty. Whether key/value, JSON, whatever, it will become
unmanagable on the CLI because VM hardware config is inherantly
complicated.

I absolutely agree, but reach a slightly different conclusion

Thus my though that config files or QMP should be the only two
places where the full power of QAPI config is exposed. Use CLI
as just a way to interact with config files in a simple way
with templates.

I would countenance that we choose only one place to ‘support’ an interface. Either “Yet Another Hardware Configuration Language” or QAPI. Rather than re-inventing that wheel I would simply suggest that we leave that to the relevant ‘user’ community (libvirt, whatever), who have specific requirements and/or existing solutions. Leaving QEMU itself to focus on improving QAPI (and migrating the CLI).

Cheers
Mark.