qemu-devel

Re: Redesign of QEMU startup & initial configuration

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: Redesign of QEMU startup & initial configuration
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 18:30:45 +0100

On 12/13/21 16:19, Markus Armbruster wrote:
I think it's more often just three: the long one that can do everything,
the short one that can do simple things (and doesn't tell you anything
about the long one), and the bad one you shouldn't use.

If we're going to have a good CLI, it would ideally only have
one way to do each given task.
Ideally, the long one plus good defaults suffices.

That's hard to do, because the short one typically creates both a backend and a frontend. It should be possible to macro-expand into the long one + a -machine property, but that's extremely tedious work.

Paolo

When we must also have a short one, it should macro-expand into long
one(s), and the user should be able to see the expansion.