qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] vhost-vdpa-net: add vhost-vdpa-net host device support

From: Jason Wang
Subject: Re: [RFC] vhost-vdpa-net: add vhost-vdpa-net host device support
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:01:40 +0800

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 6:07 PM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 11:18:05AM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:

In this case, it looks to me the config size could be deduced from
VHOST_VDPA_GET_FEATURES?

> > > It can only be deduced in a device-specific way (net, blk, etc). I can't
> > > think of a way to detect the number of virtqueues for an arbitrary
> > > VIRTIO device from the features bits and configuration space contents.
> >
> > Yes, I'm not against this idea but it looks to me it works even without
> > this.
> >
> > Modern PCI has num_queues but we don't have things like this in MMIO
> > and legacy PCI.
>
> Even if the VIRTIO hardware interface doesn't expose this information to
> the guest, QEMU's VirtIODevice API needs it. Device emulation code must
> call virtio_add_queue() to expose virtqueues to the guest.

We don't need this for current multiqueue virtio-net with vhost-vdpa
since the queue num were deduced from the VHOST_VDPA_GET_CONFIG during
the initialization of vhost-vdpa backend.

If we are talking about generic vhost-vdpa-pci, we don't need
virtio_add_queue() in this case.

Thanks