qemu-devel

Re: tracing.rst neglects to document syntax of trace-events files

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: tracing.rst neglects to document syntax of trace-events files
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 09:02:35 +0000

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 09:23:50AM +0100, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Almost[*] all trace-events files start with this line:
>
>     # See docs/devel/tracing.rst for syntax documentation.
>
> But I can't find syntax documentation there.

In that doc, under the heading "Declaring trace events", is a wordy
paragraph that looks like it was attempting to fill this need,
especially the last part.

[quote]
Each event declaration will start with the event name, then its arguments,
finally a format string for pretty-printing. For example::

    qemu_vmalloc(size_t size, void *ptr) "size %zu ptr %p"
    qemu_vfree(void *ptr) "ptr %p"
[/quote]

It certainly has plenty of scope for improvement though !

Regards,
Daniel