qemu-devel

Re: [RFC 0/2] qemu-sem-posix: use monotonic clock instead

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/2] qemu-sem-posix: use monotonic clock instead
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:31:02 +0100

On 2/21/22 10:56, Longpeng(Mike) via wrote:
The qemu_sem_timedwait() uses system time as default, it would be affected by
changes to the system time. In the real scenario, the time that goes faster or
slower is a common case and the NTP service could help us to sync time
periodically.

This patchset uses monotonic clock instead of the realtime clock, this could
make sure we would not be affected by the system time anymore.

This looks good, I don't think there are cases where a more optimized semaphore is necessary (if there were, we could introduce a futex fallback on Linux).

However, pthread_condattr_t need not be in the struct. The attributes can be allocated on the stack, because they do not have to remain alive after pthread_cond_init.

Thanks,

Paolo

Longpeng (Mike) (2):
   sem-posix: remove the posix semaphore support
   sem-posix: use monotonic clock instead

  include/qemu/thread-posix.h |  5 +--
  meson.build                 | 12 ++++++-