qemu-devel

Re: MAINTAINERS: macOS host support (was: MAINTAINERS: take edk2)

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: MAINTAINERS: macOS host support (was: MAINTAINERS: take edk2)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:18:53 +0100

  Hi,

> > Any chance you can take over the macos support bits in return?
>
> I suppose you mean the "Core Audio framework backend" section?

cocoa too.

> There is indeed a need for macOS host support maintenance, as patches
> hang on the list until Peter finally takes them via the arm tree.
>
> Not sure what you have in mind. I'm totally new to the macOS/Darwin
> world, and have no choice but to use it as primary workstation and
> for CI builds, so I can help with overall testing / maintenance.

Having test hardware is more than I have ;)

Also it seems you have collected stuff from the mailing list
in your macos host patch series.  If that isn't maintenance,
what is it?

I have only a virtual machine.  Updating that is a major PITA,
it's stuck at macos 10 so increasingly useless for builds and
testing, havn't booted it for months.

So I'm sitting here looking at the patches where I often simply
can't justify whenever they are correct or not because I'm not
familiar with the macos thread model, macos app bundles etc.

My maintenance model for macos bits is basically sit & wait, now
and then scan my mail folder for patches & reviews, then trying
to figure what is ready for merge based on the review comments.
On top of that I'm often busy with ekd2 stuff so patches can sit
for quite a while on the list.

This isn't that great for neither me nor the people submitting
patches ...

take care,
  Gerd