qemu-devel

Re: QEMU device refcounting when device creates a container MR

From: Igor Mammedov
Subject: Re: QEMU device refcounting when device creates a container MR
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 16:36:10 +0100

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 16:56:21 +0000
Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 at 16:53, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

> > > The unparent method is supposed to break reference cycles.
> > >
> > > In the case of QOM, unparent calls unrealize, so unrealize should remove
> > > the subregions it created.

well, making it asymmetric doesn't sound nice.
I think unrealize() should deal only with stuff initialized in
realize(), and instance_finalize() undo whatever  instance_init() did.
And if we got beyond Device type, i.e. directly inherited from "Object"
(/me thinking about backends) attempt to hijack unrealize() won't help.

> > It seems asymmetric for unrealize to undo something that was
> > done in instance_init, though. I would expect unrealize to
> > undo the effects of realize, and instance_finalize to undo
> > the effects of instance_init.
>
> ...also, in the device-introspect-test where I see this problem,
> unrealize is never going to be called anyway, because the device
> is only put through "instance_init" and then dereffed (which
> does not result in instance_finalize being called, because the
> refcount is still non-zero).

question is why introspected device is deferred instead of being
destroyed if it's no longer needed?