qemu-devel

Re: QEMU, UEFI and Windows with Bitlocker encryption

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Re: QEMU, UEFI and Windows with Bitlocker encryption
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:19:41 +0200

I didn’t get any response to this, but found out the solution myself, so I just thought I’d share the solution for anyone with a similar issue.

Basically the root of this problem seems to have been TPM-related and not UEFI-related.

So switching from a pass through-TPM to a swtpm for my VM caused Windows to having to reinitialize the TPM and thus bitlocker.

After doing this the VM boots cleanly, like expected.

I’m guessing that simply resetting the existing TPM and reinitializing it in Windows would have solved the issue too, and that a similar fix might work when shifting a BitLocker encrypted boot drive from one system to another, VM or not.

Cheers!

--
Vennlig hilsen
Jostein Kjønigsen