qemu-devel

FSFreeze on Windows VM

From: Shelly Kagan
Subject: FSFreeze on Windows VM
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:26:30 +0300

Hi all,
I'm having some weird behavior with fsfreeze in windows VM.
I run the fsfreeze and it returns:
`error: Guest agent is not responding: Guest agent not available for now`

but checking the status returned frozen, rerunning it again returns that the command is not enabled (expected since the freeze occurs)

I checked the fsstatus and it keeps returning `frozen` even after 10 seconds (from my understanding the freeze in windows vm is limited to 10 seconds by default by the VSS. No way to change this default from my understanding, is it true?) Shouldn't the status return thawed if the VSS no longer keeps the freeze state?

After a minute I did the thaw and it returned error:
`error: internal error: unable to execute QEMU agent command 'guest-fsfreeze-thaw': couldn't hold writes: fsfreeze is limited up to 10 seconds:`

but the fsstatus changed to thawed after that call.

My questions are:
1. Why would the fsfreeze return error about the guest agent but still freeze the fs?
2. Why would the guest agent not respond, is there a way to make sure it is available before the freeze command? (running the fsstatus command before it returned without issues..)
3. Is it expected that the fsstatus will return frozen even if possibly VSS has already thawed? and that the thaw fails but the status do change after to thawed?

Thanks for taking the time to respond and help,
--

Shelly Kagan

Senior Software Engineer

Red Hat