qemu-devel

[qemu.qmp PATCH 00/13] python: fork qemu.qmp python lib into independent

From: John Snow
Subject: [qemu.qmp PATCH 00/13] python: fork qemu.qmp python lib into independent repo
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 14:24:11 -0400

GitLab: https://gitlab.com/jsnow/qemu.qmp/-/commits/pt2a

Hi, this series is part of an effort to publish the qemu.qmp package on
PyPI. It is the second of three phases to complete this work:

    (1) Switch the new Async QMP library in to python/qemu/qmp
    (2) Fork python/qemu/qmp out into its own repository.
-->    (2a) Do the bare minimum to be consistent.
       (2b) Add most GitLab CI/CD targets.
       (2c) Add Sphinx doc builds, update docs, and publish to GitLab pages.
       (2d) Add dynamic git versioning and GitLab package builds.
    (3) Update qemu.git to install qemu.qmp from PyPI,
        and then delete python/qemu/qmp.

This series is not meant to apply to qemu.git, rather -- it's the series
that performs the split and would apply to a brand new repository.

I am submitting it to the QEMU mailing list because:

(1) To more broadly announce my intentions, and as reference alongside
series #1 and #3 detailed above. It'll be catalogued in the ML archives
this way, too.

(2) To ask for permission to become the maintainer of a
'qemu-project/py-qemu.qmp' repository, where I would like to host this
subproject.

(3) To ask for review on the README.rst file which details my intended
contribution guidelines for this subproject.

(4) To see if there's any feedback on the mechanics of how I forked this
subproject.

Review notes / points of interest:

- I use jsnow/qemu.qmp as the repo name throughout the series; that will
  have to be changed eventually, but for the purposes of prototyping, it
  was nicer to have a fully working series.

- I'm planning on using gitlab issues and MRs for the subproject.

- The intended versioning paradigm is recorded in patch #10.

- GitLab integration, automatic package builds, and other fancy features
  are saved for another series. It was getting extremely long, so let's
  stick to the basics, then add on each feature one at a time.

John Snow (13):
  pylint hotfix
  fork qemu.qmp from qemu.git
  update VERSION to 0.0.0a1
  update maintainer metadata
  update project description
  [FIXME] update project URLs
  add a couple new trove classifiers
  move README.rst to FILES.rst and update
  [FIXME] move PACKAGE.rst to README.rst and update
  docs: add versioning policy to README
  add LGPLv2+ and GPLv2 LICENSE files
  update Pipfile
  remove sub-dependency pins from Pipfile

 .gitignore            |   2 +-
 FILES.rst             |  67 ++++++
 LICENSE               | 481 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 LICENSE_GPL2          | 339 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 MANIFEST.in           |   3 +-
 Makefile              |  16 +-
 PACKAGE.rst           |  43 ----
 Pipfile               |   4 +-