qemu-devel

Re: Is it possible to support hotplug device to PXB bridge?

From: Igor Mammedov
Subject: Re: Is it possible to support hotplug device to PXB bridge?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 13:51:01 +0200

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 17:33:08 +0800
Eric Ren <renzhengeek@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Igor, Daniel:
>
> Thanks for the hints!
>
> In the PXB doc
> (https://github.com/qemu/qemu/blob/master/docs/pci_expander_bridge.txt),
> PXB device internally adds a pci bridge, according to the impl brief:
>
> ```
> The PXB is composed by:
> - PCIBridgeDev(TYPE_PCI_BRIDGE_DEV)
> Created automatically as part of init sequence.
> When adding a device to PXB it is attached to the bridge for two reasons:
> - Using the bridge will **enable hotplug support**
> - All the devices behind the bridge will use bridge's IO/MEM windows
> compacting
> the PCI address space.
> ```
>
> A PXB device already takes 2 bus nr: 1 for the added root bus via host
> bridge, 1 for the pci bridge.
> If statically adding 1 more pci bridge, it takes 1 more pci bus...
>
> Anyway, will try to figure out the reason why the doc says "Using the
> bridge will enable hotplug support",
> but in fact not :-)
>
> The start point seemingly is, to generate correct ACPI SSDT table
> having hotplug devices/methods for slots behind the PXB
> internal pci bridge.
It doesn't look like a trivial thing to impl.

The easiest approach is what Daniel has suggested (provided guest
OS supports SHPC):

 -device pxb,id=bridge1,bus=pci.0,bus_nr=1 \
 -device pci-bridge,id=hpbridge,bus=bridge1,chassis_nr=1,shpc=on

then you can hotplug devices on hpbridge

Alternatively allow shpc on builtin pxb bridge, by adding a property
that could turn it on, as it's explicitly disabled at the moment:

  pxb_dev_realize_common():
     qdev_prop_set_bit(bds, PCI_BRIDGE_DEV_PROP_SHPC, false);