qemu-devel

Re: Create qemu-project/py-qemu.qmp repo

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: Create qemu-project/py-qemu.qmp repo
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 10:28:15 -0400

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022, 4:37 AM Andrea Bolognani <abologna@redhat.com> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 05:00:16PM -0400, John Snow wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2022, 2:00 PM Andrea Bolognani <abologna@redhat.com> wrote:
> > I think I would go with "python-qemu-qmp". Having a dot in the name
> > of a git repo is not very common AFAICT, and I wouldn't rule out the
> > possibility of some GitLab feature or other tooling breaking or
> > misbehaving because of it.
>
> The idea is to have the repo name resemble the Python package name, which
> is "qemu.qmp". For Python, it's customary to have the package name match
> the import name. The import name is "qemu.qmp".
>
> I tested this name on GitLab and it appears to work just fine.

I'm concerned about issues that you'd only trigger when using
certain, perhaps less common, features.

Here's an example of such an issue from just a year ago:

  https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/224669

For mailing list context, this bug appears to concern label names with a dot; due to bad URL generation that can be fixed manually using %2e.

There's an epic tracking more issues of the same kind, though
admittedly most were addressed four years ago:

  https://gitlab.com/groups/gitlab-org/-/epics/3740

Up to you whether you feel confident enough that you're not going to
run into issues later.

There's always the chance for bugs, right? I'm not too concerned - I didn't run into anything by now, and I've been working on this stuff for a while.

Can't promise it won't ever happen, but I value consistency with the package name more than I value avoiding possible bugs.

Valid to wonder, but I think the tradeoff is appropriate here.

> > If you're really keen on saving those few extra keystrokes, maybe
> > "pyqemu" is a better prefix than "py-qemu"? I don't know, it just
> > looks more natural to me.
>
> I'd add "py:" as a prefix, but the colon doesn't work as a filename in many
> places, so I suggested "py-".
>
> Thus, all together, "py-qemu.qmp".
>
> (I could spell out "python", I just prefer the shorter prefix because it's
> explanatory enough as-is and I like keeping git checkout names short. My
> favorite color of bike shed is blue.)

You can absolutely have short names locally even when things are
spelled out in GitLab.

Sure, but it's more steps and I personally never change the name when copy-pasting the "git clone" snippet. I assume most don't either.

Anyway, in this case my taste in names is clearly simply different
from yours and you should absolutely feel free to ignore my opinion
on the matter :)

Thanks for weighing in. I'm not ignoring your feedback, but I think I'm still happiest with "py-qemu.qmp" for now.

--js