qemu-devel

Re: QEMU cirrus freebsd 13 CI failing with 'Undefined symbol "rl_set_tim

From: Li-Wen Hsu
Subject: Re: QEMU cirrus freebsd 13 CI failing with 'Undefined symbol "rl_set_timeout"'
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 04:39:08 +0800

On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 2:25 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 09, 2023 at 05:14:38PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > I've just noticed that our (optional) FreeBSD 13 CI job is
> > failing while running the qemu-iotests, like this:
> >
> > +ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/bin/bash: Undefined symbol "rl_set_timeout"
> >
> > Full job logs from a couple of sample builds:
> > https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6541458329567232
> > https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6036627739377664
> >
> > Any idea what this is about? It looks at first glance like
> > the bash on the CI system is busted because it can't find
> > libreadline, but maybe I'm missing something. Are we missing
> > some runtime shared library from a config file?
>
> Usually this kind of thing happens when FreeBSD issue a new
> minor release. The ports build will pick up a dependency on
> an API in the new release, and the ports package manager
> never checks that it is running on the current base image.
>
> In this case though, we're already running on FreeBSD 13.1,
> which is most current release, and 13.2 isn't due for at
> least 2 months. So my usual fix of updating the base image
> version won't solve this.
>
> It does feel like the ports 'bash' build is broken.

TL;DR: The workaround would be upgrading readline package or more
extensively, do a `pkg upgrade -y` before install other packages.

rl_set_timeout is in libreadline.so which is installed by readline
pacakge, and that package was pre-installed when installing other
packages needed by the GCP image, which is used for cirrus-ci.  It
seems that the readline package on image is too old and doesn't meet
the requirement of bash and caused this issue.

I can reproduce this and confirmed the workaround.  I attached a patch
and hope that it helps.

Best,
Li-Wen