qemu-devel

[Capstone] Feedback request for new architecture updater

From: Rot127
Subject: [Capstone] Feedback request for new architecture updater
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 11:24:55 -0500

I currently work on a new updater for architecture modules in Capstone.

The current update process has the problem that it is a lot of manual work.
Syncing the information from LLVM to Capstone requires a one to translate a lot of C++ to C code and fix a ton of build errors. This lead to architecture modules not getting updated. So there are many new instructions in Capstone which are not supported.

The new updater will take away as much manual work as possible.
It does this by translating most C++ to C via a little translation tool and uses refactored LLVM-TableGen backends which emit directly the code Capstone needs.
Currently it is in a early stage but it is ready to receive some feedback.

If anyone finds the time to take a look at it and write down their thoughts, suggestions or improvement ideas, I would be very grateful.

Capstone draft PR: https://github.com/capstone-engine/capstone/pull/1949