[Qemu-discuss] dm-crypt on top of DRBD for live migration

From: Berengar Lehr
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] dm-crypt on top of DRBD for live migration
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 11:00:42 +0100

I want to use LVM, dm-crypt and DRBD in a 2-machine setup for KVM.

I think, a proper setup could be something like this (dm-crypt below DRBD):

    Machine 1               Machine 2

       KVM  -> -> -> -> -> ->  KVM
        |   (live migration)    .
        |                       .
       DRBD - - - - - - - - - DRBD
        |                       |
       LVM                     LVM
        |                       |
     dm-crypt                dm-crypt
        |                       |
  Disk/Partition          Disk/Partition

The KVM guest machines should run on machine 1. Live migration to machine 2 should be supported.

Using this setup, every write to DRBD would be (independently) crypted on both machines,
leading to additional (unnecessary?) cpu load on machine 2 before live migrating, and additional
cpu load on machine 1 after live migration.

Could these additional cpu loads be avoided using a setup like this (dm-crypt in top of DRBD):

    Machine 1               Machine 2

       KVM  -> -> -> -> -> ->  KVM
        |   (live migration)    .
        |                       .(b)
     dm-crypt                dm-crypt
        |                       |(a)
       DRBD - - - - - - - - - DRBD
        |                       |
       LVM                     LVM
        |                       |
  Disk/Partition          Disk/Partition

In this setup, dm-crypt runs on both machines, too, but is not used on machine 2 until KVM
guests send write-requests after the live migration. So crypting is done only by one machine
at every time point.

Is such a setup safe and stable?

What about caching at points (a) or (b) on machine 2?
Can KVM read cached, outdated data from dm-crypt after live migration?

Is there a workaround?

Thank You

--
Dipl.-Phys. Berengar Lehr