Re: [Qemu-discuss] qemu -curses in MS Windows?

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] qemu -curses in MS Windows?
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 21:09:46 +0200

On 10/9/2012 7:16 PM, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:

Environments such as cygwin send all terminal stdout to their
own terminal emulator and then configure a ported curses library
to know the escape sequences they emulate, which is roundabout,
but works for many simpler programs, however running qemul-win32
under cygwin would be bad for the porting of most other parts
of qemu, so is not really an option.

gVim and OpenSSH for Windows do curses successfully in Windows. As long as we're careful not to break things, I think it could be done.

Your gVim link just points to the generic vim project page, no way to find the specific port you are thinking about from there.

OpenSSH for Windows is a modified cygwin port that tries to use the native Windows shell, his special modifications are currently not available as source.

Not much of use on those pages at the moment.

Hmm. If I just wanted to run a simple BIOS text program, would -nographic serve my purposes? What's the difference between -nographic and -curses?

I am not sure what -nographic would do for a PC program that tries to write to the PC display adapter.

I imagine (I am not sure) that -curses runs the full Cirrus VGA emulation, then as long as the emulated VGA display mode is a text mode (such as the classic 80x25 16 colors mode 4), then the text in that emulated 80x25 char+color buffer is rendered to the console using curses escapes for colors and placement.

If I am right, then the most similar thing to do is to run in regular graphic VGA emulation mode and just look at the resulting picture of the text.

I have no overview of what tools qemu provides for exporting the VGA text buffer as text or similar.

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  http://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2730 Herlev, Denmark.  Direct +45 31 13 16 10