Re: [Qemu-discuss] what is the defferences between /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm

From: Mike Lovell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] what is the defferences between /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm and /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:14:55 -0600

On 10/14/2012 04:02 AM, yue-kvm wrote:
  what is the defferences between /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm and
/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64?
> my OS is centos6.2,   qemu-kvm is from a rpm package, while
qemu-system-x86_64 is builded  manually from  source code.
> 1.
> if i can recognize they are the same thing?
> 2. for centos distro, how to build a qemu rpm from source code? it seems
there is no  qemu.spec file

qemu-system-x64_64 is a binary that is built by the qemu source code. qemu-kvm is a binary from the qemu-kvm branch of qemu. the qemu-kvm branch was where the original work for kvm was done. almost all of the work that was done in the qemu-kvm branch has been merged back into the main qemu source tree and i think the developers want to complete merging everything in the next release or two. the only thing i can think of from qemu-kvm that hasn't made it upstream is a handful of command line switches for enabling or disabling certain features though i think the features they change are already upstream. they are very similar in recent versions.

as for building an rpm, i would guess that the spec file from the source rpm for qemu-kvm would work with qemu. i just looked in the qemu-kvm source code and didn't see a spec file there. it is probably something that the distribution maintains and, since the source trees are similar, it might just work between the two.

hope that helps.

mike