Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to detect old arch?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to detect old arch?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 10:48:23 +0100

On 16 September 2015 at 04:30, Dale R. Worley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Peter Maydell <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I have an ISO fromat via dd from an old scsi unix:
>>> //////////////////////////
>>> dd if=/dev/hdc of=./all_files.iso
>>> I think it's sysv unix. How can I detedct its' arch via qemu?
>>
>> I would start off by running strings on the iso image, to see if
>> there's any helpful human-readable text in it that would more
>> usefully narrow down:
>>  * what the disk actually has on it
>>  * what OS it is
>>  * what CPU architecture it's for
>>
>> Then you can probably make an educated guess at the image
>> format.
>
> What you have is an ISO file system.  That is, it contains a bunch of
> files.  You can mount it on your system and read the files.

Are you sure it's going to be a standard ISO 9660 filesystem?
If it's just been dd'd off a *hard disk* as the command above
suggests, it seems more likely that it's going to be whatever
that unix's native filesystem format was (possibly with some
kind of partition table, possibly not).

thanks
-- PMM