Re: [Qemu-discuss] [Qemu-devel] Virtio-9p and cgroup io-throttling

From: Greg Kurz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] [Qemu-devel] Virtio-9p and cgroup io-throttling
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 16:58:01 +0200

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 14:55:29 +0200
Pradeep Kiruvale <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> FInd my replies inline
>

> > > Below is the way how I add to blkio
> > >
> > > echo "8:16 8388608" >
> > > /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio/test/blkio.throttle.write_bps_device
> > >

> > Ok, this just puts a limit of 8MB/s when writing to /dev/sdb for all
> > tasks in the test cgroup... but what about the tasks themselves ?
> >
> > > The problem I guess is adding these task ids to the "tasks" file in
> > cgroup
> > >

> > Exactly. :)
> >
> > > These threads are started randomly and even then I add the PIDs to the
> > > tasks file the cgroup still does not do IO control.
> > >

> > How did you get the PIDs ? Are you sure these threads you have added to the
> > cgroup are the ones that write to /dev/sdb ?
> >

> *Yes, I get PIDs from /proc/Qemu_PID/task*

And then you echoed the PIDs to /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio/test/tasks ?

This is racy... another IO thread may be started to do some work on /dev/sdb
just after you've read PIDs from /proc/Qemu_PID/task, and it won't be part
of the cgroup.

> > > Is it possible to reduce these number of threads? I see different number
> > of
> > > threads doing IO at different runs.
> > >

> > AFAIK, no.
> >
> > Why don't you simply start QEMU in the cgroup ? Unless I miss something,
> > all
> > children threads, including the 9p ones, will be in the cgroup and honor
> > the
> > throttle setttings.
> >

> *I started the qemu with cgroup as below*
>
> *cgexec -g blkio:/test qemu.......*
> *Is there any other way of starting the qemu in cgroup?*

Maybe you can pass --sticky to cgexec to prevent cgred from moving
children tasks to other cgroups...

There's also the old fashion method:

# echo $$ > /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio/test/tasks
# qemu.....

This being said, QEMU is a regular userspace program that is completely cgroup
agnostic. It won't behave differently than 'dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/null'.

This really doesn't look like a QEMU related issue to me.

> Regards,
> Pradeep

Cheers.

--