Re: [Qemu-discuss] Custom board with DTS/DTB

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Custom board with DTS/DTB
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 17:47:16 +0000

On 5 December 2016 at 17:31, James Hanley <address@hidden> wrote:
> It seems after upgrading to tip that it exits gracefully with
> qemu-system-arm: qemu_fdt_getprop: Couldn't get //#address-cells:
> FDT_ERR_NOTFOUND

That suggests that your device tree is malformed (the root node
is missing the #address-cells property).

But more generally:

qemu-system-arm                                 \
                -M none                         \
                -m 2                          \
                -cpu cortex-m4                  \

This isn't going to work properly, because you can't just
pass random -cpu arguments like this: only CPUs which are
expected to work with a particular machine model make sense.
(-M none doesn't make sense to run code on at all, really.)
In particular, this will end up with no NVIC (interrupt
controller). For an M profile system you need to use one
of the supported M profile machine models we emulate
(the stellaris boards lm3s6965evb and lm3s811evb, and
netduino2).

As Thomas says, we don't try to create a machine based on
a dtb file (there is not enough information in the dtb
to be able to do that): it's just a data file we pass
to Linux, like the initrd. We do some minor tweaks to it
for things like "how much RAM is present" and "what is
the command line", but that's it.

thanks
-- PMM