[Qemu-discuss] Implementing a 3D video card

From: G 3
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Implementing a 3D video card
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 12:39:07 -0500

QEMU already has the ability to use the host video card, but this isn't always what someone might want. If you are trying to play Windows 95 era video games, then a 3D video card that supports Windows 95 is what we would want. That is why I think we should implement the Voodoo3 video card. This card is supported by both the classic Mac OS and many versions of Windows. It would support a lot of late 90's - early 2000's 3D video games, expanding QEMU's usefulness.

I found this PDF that describes the registers the voodoo 2 card has:
http://www.falconfly.de/downloads/voodoo2-reference-rev116.zip

This page has a mini tutorial on how to program this card using its registers:
http://www.openglsuperbible.com/2013/09/07/voodoo-registers-part-1/

This card would make an excellent addition to QEMU.

I was originally thinking about targeting the ATI Rage 128 Pro video card for implementation into QEMU, but couldn't find any technical documentation for it. A document describing its registers would be helpful.

Does implementing the voodoo3 (or 2) video card sound feasible? Should we focus on another video card? Let us know what you think.