Re: [Qemu-discuss] quick pointer on adding a new chardev

From: Herb Peyerl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] quick pointer on adding a new chardev
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 16:21:19 -0700

Thanks for the explanation.  I was away for the weekend so I’m back digging
into this now.  I think I understand better now.

Based on your explanation, this seems to do something though I’m not quite sure
if it’s the right thing:

        -chardev socket,host=192.168.1.1,port=4555,id=foo0 \
        -global myfoo.chardev=foo0

In my code I did:

s->chr=qemu_chr_alloc();
qemu_chr_add_handlers(s->chr, foo_can_receive, foo_receive, foo_event, s);

Later in the code I did:

qemu_chr_fe_write(s->chr, buf, num)

…and the contents of ‘buf’ did appear in another window that had ‘nc -l 4555’
so it would appear that I’ve successfully linked a socket backend to my
frontend… At least in that direction…

It would appear that none of my handlers are being called when I enter data
into ‘nc’ however…  Not sure what else I’m missing but I must be getting close.