Re: [Qemu-discuss] Coldfire 5208 Network

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Coldfire 5208 Network
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 16:10:25 -0700

On 28 September 2017 at 15:04, William Mahoney <address@hidden> wrote:
> Then this:
>
> https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking
>
> is kind of misleading: "For example, if you are emulating a particular
> embedded board, then you should use the virtual network device that matches
> that embedded board's configuration."

Yeah. The documentation is really written from the perspective
of the majority use case, which is x86 PC virtual machines.
The embedded stuff has never been updated to be usable with the
new syntax :-(

> So you’re saying that as long as “I don’t touch anything” I should be able
> to netcat between the 5208 and a bash on the same host? Assuming the host
> and the guest are on the same subnet? (So I should just force the host IP to
> be on the same 10…. sublet that QEMU?)

What you get is that network connections from the guest appear like
connections made from the host machine. So the guest can make
outbound ssh or netcat connections, and from the perspective of
the host they'll look like the host is just making a connection to
itself. You can't make a connection from the host into the guest
unless you use the port redirection syntax. From within the guest
it looks like the guest is on a 10.x.x.x network which only has
itself, a DHCP server, and a gateway -- all of this is fake and
emulated by QEMU.

If that doesn't work there may of course be bugs in the QEMU
emulated network hardware or a guest OS config error or bug...

If you want the guest to have a "real" network connection with
its own IP address that you can connect into from outside, you
need to set up tun/tap, but this can be pretty painful so it's
not worth the bother mostly. (That config is really aimed at
server-use-case VMs.)

thanks
-- PMM