Re: [Qemu-discuss] Booting a QEMU instance within a QEMU instance using

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Booting a QEMU instance within a QEMU instance using KVM doesn't work
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 12:06:38 +0000

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 20:50, Kaushik Datta <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thank you for the prompt reply, Peter.  Based on your recommendations, I
> downloaded the HEAD of QEMU's master branch a few hours ago and re-ran the
> test below with the "virt" machine model.  After booting, I checked dmesg's
> KVM messages:
>
> [   10.645543] kvm [1]: HYP mode not available

Are you enabling EL2 by passing QEMU the -machine virtualization=on
argument? By default it will come up with only EL1, and KVM won't run.
(Other things to watch out for: default CPU is a 32-bit one, so
pass "-cpu max"; default GIC is GICv2, so you probably want
-machine gic-version=max to get a GICv3.)

thanks
-- PMM