Re: [Qemu-discuss] qemu-system-aarch64 doesn't close after guest execute

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] qemu-system-aarch64 doesn't close after guest executes halt -f
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2019 18:23:27 +0100

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 at 18:06, Shlomo Pongratz <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 5:50 PM Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 at 15:41, Shlomo Pongratz <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Is there a specific configuration that I need to add to the Linux
> > > {dot}config?
> > > Is this because the machine selection i.e. doesn't support it.
> > > Is this qemu-system-aarch64 issue?
> >
> > You don't specify your command line. Different machines
> > behave in different ways. In general power-down is
> > implemented by "model the way it works on hardware",
> > so whether such a mechanism even exists depends on which
> > machine we're modelling.

> Sorry, I've forgot to specify the machine.
> The machine is virt and the CPU is cortex-a57

Thanks. This should work -- it does for me. The mechanism for
the virt board is via a GPIO line which is identified as the
power-off mechanism in the device tree or ACPI table which QEMU
passes to the guest. You're probably missing something from
your guest kernel config which is needed for this. I'm
pretty sure the aarch64 defconfig works.

Check you have CONFIG_GPIO_PL061 enabled. That's definitely
necessary but may not be sufficient (perhaps also
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO is required, not sure about that one).

thanks
-- PMM