Re: QEMU 5.1: Can we require each new device/machine to provided a test?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: QEMU 5.1: Can we require each new device/machine to provided a test?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 12:51:18 +0200

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 12:11:17PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 07/04/2020 12.59, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Following Markus thread on deprecating unmaintained (untested) code
> > (machines) [1] and the effort done to gather the information shared in
> > the replies [2], and the various acceptance tests added, is it
> > feasible to require for the next release that each new device/machine
> > is provided a test covering it?
> >
> > If no, what is missing?
>
> If a qtest is feasible, yes, I think we should require one for new
> devices.

qtest is not feasible, at least not for all kinds of devices.  You can't
talk to usb devices for example, and changing that effectively requires
writing uhci/ohci/ehci/xhci drivers so one can submit usb transfers in
qtest.

The current qtests for usb devices is basically hot-plug and unplug it
and check qmp doesn't throw an error.  Better that nothing, but there is
zero functional testing and changing that is seriously non-trivial.

cheers,
  Gerd