QEMU savevm and loadvm doubts

From: Arnabjyoti Kalita
Subject: QEMU savevm and loadvm doubts
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 10:52:08 +0530

Hello all,

I have a few questions with regards to the functionality of QEMU savevm and loadvm commands-

- When we do savevm, is all of the guest physical memory (which is the virtual memory of the QEMU process) being saved?

- Is the memory shared by the guest as well as the hypervisor (QEMU) saved as well, when we do savevm in QEMU?

- Let us say, just before savevm was done, there was some network traffic coming in to the guest and all of the network packets could be seen by looking at the function,

      ssize_t virtio_net_receive(NetClientState *nc, const uint8_t *buf, size_t size);

given this scenario, when we do savevm and then a loadvm, will the memory addresses like nc, buf in the function above still retain correct values, or will they be garbage?

Thank you for answering.

Best Regards,
Arnabjyoti Kalita